Thursday 17 September 2009

(7) Changing the seals & regreasing

Changing the seals
Photobucket
I changed the seals before the ink sac, because of my impatience getting supplies together. Thankfully, there’s loads of great info on the net on how to do this, so there were no problems. Extend the plunger tube, unscrew the barrel, put a long flat head screwdriver up the plunger tube, and unscrew to remove the blind cap. Push the plunger tube into the barrel and it pops out. Here’s a photo of all the bits. 

Photobucket
I measured the blind cap screw for future reference, because it’s quite hard to see what size screwdriver will fit it while inside the plunger tube.The head of the screw is about 4mm long.

Photobucket
Here’s the barrel seal, it just fits in a groove inside the barrel. The blind cap seal itself was in good shape so I didn’t mess with it.

Photobucket
At the other end of the pen, the point seal came out after unscrewing the nib unit and grip. I poked the old seal out from the back.

Photobucket
My old seal had the raised nipple facing into the pen, so that’s how I fit the fresh one.

Photobucket
Tamping down the point seal with the back end of a screwdriver.

Photobucket
Before putting it all back together, a wee dab of silicon grease on the plunger tube, sac protector threads, spring, and a little on the snorkel tube, away from the feed slits.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments seem to be working okay again. You can try leaving one, it might work! If not, you can reach me on twitter if you like @Flounder_FPN