Sunday 30 January 2011

(3) Removing the movements

The Poor Man's Watch Forum has a fantastically thorough guide to taking out a watch movement, I pretty much followed the advice there (apart from using a movement holder, and a wealth of other things I don't have).

The crown needs to come off to free the movement from the case. To release the crown, there's a little button nearby that's pressed as you pull the crown out...

Photobucket

... I'd read somewhere to put the crown back in once the movement is freed, as a handy grip to turn the watch over without marking the dial with fingerprints or what have you.  Having the crown in place meant I could line up the hands in a position easy to set later on.

Photobucket

Having the crown in place meant I could line up the hands in a position easy to remember for later on too.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments seem to be working okay again. You can try leaving one, it might work! If not, you can reach me on twitter if you like @Flounder_FPN